This cemetery, located in Winfield Township, north of West Winfield, started during the flu epidemic of 1918-1919.
Employees of the limestone mine, the sand plant, the brick yard, the salt works, and the tile works, located at or near West Winfield, were mostly Polish or Slovakian. Many of these people had no relations in America, a lot of them were Catholic.
A farmer by the name of McLaughlin, donated a parcel of land for them to be interred. Sometimes they buried them in pine board boxes and other times they just rolled the bodies in a blanket and buried anywhere from one to five in a single grave.
No records have been found that identify who or how many are buried there. The cemetery was marked by a huge wooden cross that has rotted and fallen over many years ago.
One headstone was found in this cemetery, that belonging to Frank Bacich, 1887-1918. Frank’s stone is no longer on its base or visible in the area. Many years ago some hunters reported having seen a few other stones that are no longer evident.
Old stories in the area state that a wagoner with a wagon load of dead from West Winfield got stuck in the mud on his way to St. John’s Catholic Church Cemetery in Coylesville, Clearfield Township. Because the wagon couldn’t move the bodies were buried in the nearby field and this burial spot was used throughout the epidemic.