123 W Diamond St, Butler, PA 16001

Built by Butler’s only United States senator, Walter Lowrie, in 1828, this is the last remaining house of its type in the Butler area. A listing on the National Register of Historic Places has recognized its historical and architectural significance. Walter Lowrie sold the house in 1836 to local attorney, George Washington Smith, who lived in the house for three years. He sold the house and grounds to Charles Craven Sullivan in 1839. The house and its furnishings were bequeathed to the Society in 1986, by Isabelle Shaw, a descendent of Charles Sullivan. Major restoration projects have been completed, both structural and decorative. Furnishings have been returned to their appropriate rooms, the original Wilton wall-to-wall carpet has been recreated, and the house has been returned to its splendor of the late 19th century.

The office, gift shop, and research library of the Butler County Historical Society is now located in this building. It also functions as a house museum that is open for tours at various times throughout the year. Please call ahead for museum hours or to make special arrangements for group tours.

Admission: $5.00 per adult, $2.00 per youth ages 5-17, and free for children under 5 and Butler County Historical Society members.

A 20 minute parking spot is directly in front of the building for your convenience.

Contact Us

Phone: 724-283-8116

Email: society@butlerhistory.com